“Personal information” means information or an opinion about an individual (or an individual who is reasonably identifiable), regardless of whether the information or opinion is true or not, and whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not. Your full name, gender, date of birth, home address, telephone number, email address and other contact details are common examples of information which may constitute personal information.
The Newcastle Knights is owned by Western Suburbs (Ncle) Leagues Club Limited (“Wests”). The Newcastle Knights may obtain personal information from, and share personal information which it holds with, Wests as the Newcastle Knights and Wests are related bodies corporate.
OUR PRIVACY COMMITMENT TO YOU
We are committed to complying with our obligations under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (as amended from time-to-time) and the 13 Australian Privacy Principles.
Where appropriate, we will handle your personal information relying on the employee records exemption (which applies to employee records related to current and former employment relationships) and the related bodies corporate exemption in the Privacy Act.
SUPPLEMENTARY COLLECTION NOTICES
ANONYMITY AND PSEUDONYMITY
If you do not provide us with your personal information, you will not be able to become a member of the Newcastle Knights and may not be able to use our products and services or facilities or access our premises.
If you provide us with your personal information but do not opt in to receive direct marketing material from us and our trusted third parties, we will be unable to provide you with information about certain promotions and products and services that we offer.
HOW WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION AS PART OF THE RUGBY LEAGUE EXCHANGE
- "NRL" means the Australian Rugby League Commission Limited, National Rugby League Limited and each of their associates, related entities and subsidiaries.
- "Competition" means any competition, tournament or league registered or carried out by the NRL or States including the pre-season, season proper, finals series and any post season tournament or knockout cup competition and any other football competition or tournament.
- "Competition Administrator" means the entity responsible for the conduct and staging of a Competition and includes (without limitation) the NRL and States (including the divisions and associations that make up the States).
- "Clubs" means any club registered with the NRL or States from time to time.
- "States" means any of Queensland Rugby League, New South Wales Rugby League, NRL Victoria, NRL South Australia, NRL Northern Territory, NRL Western Australia and NRL Tasmania.
- "NRL Rules" means NRL's constitution, rules, regulations, policies and procedures and any other ancillary document that governs the NRL in administering the game of Rugby League, as promulgated and amended from time to time.
- "Rugby League Partners" means any entity that has a commercial agreement or arrangement with the NRL, States, Competition Administrator or Club (as the case may be), including Ticketek and Ticketmaster, and which you may also have a direct relationship with (including by participation in a Competition).
Generally speaking, where you provide information to the Newcastle Knights in relation to your engagement with the Newcastle Knights, including, for example, where you buy a ticket or membership to a club match, buy merchandise or enter a club promotion, then your information (other than sensitive information) will be shared as part of the Rugby League Exchange.
KINDS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION THAT WE COLLECT AND HOLD
We collect and hold a wide range of personal information, which may include:
- your name, gender, date of birth, occupation, residential address and postcode, email address, telephone number and other contact details;
- your signature;
- your contact preferences;
- information relating to your location when you use one of our websites, social media pages or apps or when you enter the Newcastle Knights’ premises;
- any personal information (other than sensitive information) about your dealings with our related bodies corporate, including your use of their services and premises, which they may disclose to us in accordance with section 13B of the Privacy Act and the terms of their privacy policies;
- information about your engagement with the Newcastle Knights, including but not limited to attendance rates and purchases;
- information about your relationship or dealings with the NRL, Clubs or States;
- information about your dealings with selected ticketing companies such as memberships, subscriptions and attendance history at matches relating to the NRL (including whether you have used your membership to purchase tickets or as a casual ticket purchaser);
- payment details including your credit card or bank account details;
- if required, credit information from you, credit reports and credit information from credit reporting bodies (for example, where you have applied for a direct debit arrangement with us);
- if required, health information including information about your fitness levels and any medical conditions that you may disclose to us to enable us to provide our facilities and services to you, and information about your vaccination status if we are required to collect that information under any of our policies or under public health order or other law. Such information is sensitive information and will not be shared via the Rugby League Exchange;
- information about your preferences, interests, and experiences with our products or services, including your participation in any sporting and social activities and your preferences, interests and experiences with any third-party products and services; This information is collected in order to tailor our communications to you and continuously improve our products and services;
- images or videos of you at the Newcastle Knights’ premises and at any events or activities associated with the Newcastle Knights;
- things you say or do (or things said about you) in connection with an incident or disciplinary proceedings in connection with us;
- if you apply for a job with us, the information in your resume and other information that you or your referees provide to us and notes of our interactions with you and/or others in relation to your prospective employment;
- any other personal information requested or required by a supplementary collection notice.
When you use a website, social media page or application operated by or under the control of the Newcastle Knights, we may also collect the following types of information:
- information about your device, such as the hardware model, operating system, preferred language, unique device identifier and mobile network; and
- other information such as your IP address, access dates and times, browser type and pages visited when you interact with one of our websites, social media pages or applications.
Wherever reasonably practicable, we will advise you of the information being collected about you and provide you with an opportunity to refuse the collection of that information.
We will only collect sensitive information about you (including, but not limited to, credit information, health information, medical history, weight and body measurements and current medications) in very limited circumstances. For example, if you participate in a game of Rugby League as a player, we will collect information about any injuries you have suffered, medical conditions which you may have and any other information which we are required to collect under the NRL Rules.
We will only collect sensitive information about you from you directly unless it is not reasonably practicable to do so, in which case we will collect that information a third party with your consent.
Where you provide us with any sensitive information, we will only use this information for the purposes stated at the time of collection and will treat that information as confidential. We will keep any sensitive information which we hold about you secure on the Rugby League Exchange and ensure that it is only accessible by the NRL and those of our staff who require access to that information in order for us to provide goods and services to you. We will not disclose sensitive information without your express consent to anyone other than our related entities and advisers, except as permitted or required by law. For the avoidance of doubt, we will seek your express consent before disclosing your sensitive information to the Rugby League Exchange.
WILL I BE NOTIFIED THAT MY PERSONAL INFORMATION IS BEING COLLECTED?
When we collect information from you, we will take reasonable steps to notify you (or otherwise ensure that you are aware) of the following:
- our identity and contact details;
- the facts and circumstances of the collection;
- details of any laws that require or authorise the collection;
- the purposes of collection;
- the consequences if we do not collect the information;
- whether we are likely to disclose the information overseas (and, if so, to which countries).
HOW THE NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS COLLECTS AND HOLDS PERSONAL INFORMATION
ACTIVE INFORMATION COLLECTION
Personal information may be collected (and combined with other personal information) if you:
- apply for, or renew, your membership with the Newcastle Knights and/or any of its sub-clubs;
- apply for, or renew, a “red membership” with Wests or participate in any promotions offered by Wests which relate to the Newcastle Knights;
- purchase a match ticket for the Newcastle Knights;
- enter or visit our premises;
- purchase or request to purchase merchandise or event packages from the Newcastle Knights club shop, Knights website or any other website, social media page or application operated by or under the control of the Newcastle Knights;
- sign up and/or register your details on any website or application operated by or under the control of the Newcastle Knights;
- use or request to use our services;
- participate in surveys and other types of research (including 'Customer Comment Cards');
- participate in any offers or marketing activities;
- enter a promotion, sweepstake, or contest hosted by the Newcastle Knights and other partners;
- provide a service to us;
- submit a credit account application form;
- attend an event where we are an exhibitor or sponsor;
- subscribe to any newsletters, updates, alerts or news and media releases, or request information or express interest about our products or services;
- contact us directly in person or via any medium including mail, telephone, social media and commercial electronic messages (SMS (Short Message Service), MMS (Multimedia Message Service), IM (Instant Messaging) and email) including via the contact details listed on a website, social media page or application operated by or under the control of the Newcastle Knights;
- complete and submit any forms to us;
- apply to become an employee of the Newcastle Knights;
- report, are involved in, witness or are otherwise connected to an incident or occurrence or disciplinary proceeding in connection with the Newcastle Knights;
- are suspended, banned or removed from any part of premises or any other venues out of which we operate;
- interact with any website or application operated by or under the control of the Newcastle Knights; or
- do any of the above in relation to any of our sub-clubs and related entities.
You are not obligated to provide us with the abovementioned personal information. However, failure to do so may result in the Newcastle Knights being unable to facilitate or provide you with certain content, products or services, information about its products and services or the opportunity to participate in any upcoming promotions, competitions, offers or events.
Where it is not reasonably practicable to collect information from you directly, we may also obtain your personal information from legitimate third party sources and platforms including the NRL and the Rugby League Exchange, as well as social media channels, commercial data providers, referral agents, marketing companies, targeting companies, list brokers, credit reporting bodies and other data providers or organisations that share data in circumstances where it is lawful and/or you have given permission for them to do so, including our service providers and retail partners.
Personal information will not be collected by any person who is known by the Newcastle Knights to be under the age of fifteen (15) without the consent of a parent or legal guardian. The Newcastle Knights expects that any persons under age fifteen (15) who use our websites and applications will only do so with the involvement and consent of a parent or legal guardian.
PASSIVE INFORMATION COLLECTION
Our websites may use and combine such passively collected information and may combine this information with other personal information collected from you to provide better service to you, customise a website based on your preferences, compile and analyse statistics and trends, provide you with relevant advertising when you visit a website or a third party website, and otherwise administer and improve a website for your use. We may combine your visitor session information or other information collected through tracking technologies with personally identifiable information from time to time in order to understand and measure your online experiences and to determine what products, promotions and services are likely to be of interest to you. By accessing our websites, you consent to information about you being collected, compiled and used in this way.
For more information about cookies and how you can opt out, you can visit https://www.oaic.gov.au/privacy/your-privacy-rights/advertising-and-marketing/targeted-advertising or www.youronlinechoices.com.au
IS THE NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS REQUIRED BY LAW TO COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We have a legal responsibility to collect certain information about our members and guests pursuant to legislation, including the Corporations Act 2001 (Corporations Act) and Work Health and Safety Act 2011.
For example, when a person applies for membership with us, we must collect details including their name and address. We may need to provide this information to any member of the general public who makes a request under certain legislation, including the Corporations Act.
PURPOSES FOR WHICH WE COLLECT, HOLD, USE AND DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION
We collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information to operate the Newcastle Knights, carry out certain activities, provide products and services to you, other members and guests and other members of the public, and comply with our legal obligations. Personal information collected will be collected and used to undertake one or more of the following primary purposes:
- for the specific purposes stated in a privacy collection notice at the time we collect information from you;
- to allow you to join as a member, or renew your membership, of the Newcastle Knights;
- to promote and increase membership of the Newcastle Knights and our sub-clubs;
- to provide a safe environment for you, other members, guests and our staff and to allow you to use our facilities safely;
- to investigate an incident or conduct disciplinary proceedings in connection with the Newcastle Knights;
- to process match tickets;
- to allow you to purchase merchandise including NRL and the Newcastle Knights merchandise;
- for the organisation, conduct and promotion of competitions and matches (including for the purpose of providing information and making ticket offers to you);
- to assist the Newcastle Knights and the NRL to comply with the NRL Rules, including the administration and development of Rugby League;
- to enable you to participate in the game of Rugby League, whether as a player, official or otherwise;
- to operate, maintain and improve the functionality of our websites, including to provide you with information about the content available on our websites and to provide you with relevant advertising when you use our websites or a third party website;
- to complete a transaction;
- to consider whether to, and, extend credit to you;
- to facilitate or provide you with certain products or services, and information about such products or services;
- to publish and distribute newsletters; electronic newsletters (e-newsletters) news and media releases;
- to assist with your queries or customer service issues promptly. We may also keep information on your communications with our customer service representatives;
- to keep you up-to-date with products, services, events or promotions we think would be of particular interest through a variety of channels, including through third parties. You are able to "opt-out" from this activity at any time;
- for planning, product development or research purposes;
- to contact you in relation to employment opportunities and, if you apply for a position with us, to assess your suitability for employment;
- to maintain our relationship with you;
- to enter you into and administer competitions and promotions;
- to send you any technical, administrative or legal notices important to our websites;
- to provide you with information about your transactions (including uploading, access to, and receipt of content on a website), content, services and products;
- to provide direct marketing materials, events, special offers, competitions and promotions in person and via any medium including mail, telephone and commercial electronic messages (SMS (Short Message Service), MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service), IM (Instant Messaging), email) or any other form of electronic, emerging, digital or conventional communications channel, including through our trusted partners;
- to render services related to our business (such as after sales services and enquiries) or the business of our trusted partners;
- to respond to enquiries and resolve any complaints;
- to improve our system administration;
- to obtain opinions or comments about products and/or services and to conduct other research and development;
- to record statistical data for analysis, including marketing analysis, and to conduct market research;
- to share personal information with our related entities, our promotional partners and other trusted third parties in the manner described below;
- to operate our sub-clubs, including publishing contact details of committee members;
- to offer and manage sponsorships including by supporting community sports and social events;
- to conduct elections of the Board; and/or
- to fulfil our obligations under our Constitution and our By-laws;
- to comply with our obligations with any public health orders and any other laws in place from time-to-time; and/or
- to carry out accounting and finance requirements and legal and administrative reporting requirements.
We use your personal information primarily to allow us to carry out the activities and functions listed above. We may also use your personal information for secondary purposes related to those activities and functions, or when permitted under the Privacy Act.
In carrying out these activities and functions, we may share your personal information with our group companies (including Wests), our sponsors and promotional partners, third parties we engage to provide services to us and other trusted third parties, including the NRL, Clubs, States, Rugby League Partners.
The Newcastle Knights will only disclose your information to a third-party if it is necessary for us to perform the functions and activities identified above and we will always require that those entities comply with the Privacy Act when dealing with your information.
The Newcastle Knights engages third-party contractors to perform a variety of functions, such as legal and accounting services, data storage, fulfilling orders, conducting market research, processing credit card payments, assisting with promotions and providing technical services for our websites. We may disclose your personal information to these third parties (some of whom may be located overseas) to enable them to provide those services to us and so enable us to provide our services to you.
We will disclose your personal information to third parties if we are required or authorised to do so by law, including to law enforcement agencies, the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner, the Australian Electoral Commission, the Department of Family and Community Services and the Australian Taxation Office.
Failure to provide us with personal information, or refusal of consent to disclose your personal information to certain third parties, may result in us being unable to provide you with certain content, products, services, upcoming opportunities, promotions, offers or events.
The Newcastle Knights and its related entities (and their directors, servants and agents), our promotional partners or trusted third parties either in Australia or overseas, may contact you via telephone, SMS (Short Message Service), MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service), IM (Instant Messaging), email or post using the contact details that you have provided to us in connection with any of the primary purposes for collection of personal information stated above.
We do not send advertising or marketing information without obtaining your prior consent, for example the consent contained in your membership application form, or if it is otherwise lawful to do so. If, for any reason, you would like to be removed from our mailing lists, please do one of the following:
- “”Log in to your online membership account with the Newcastle Knights and update your preferences;
- Select ‘Unsubscribe’ on electronic communications; or
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please allow 30 days for this request to be processed.
Despite removing your name from the database to receive future advertising and marketing information, we may send you non-commercial “Administrative Emails”. Administrative Emails relate to a user account and may include administrative and transaction confirmations, requests and inquiries or information about a particular user account.
ABILITY OF OTHERS TO VIEW INFORMATION
We may provide areas on a website where you can upload user-generated content, post or provide information about yourself, communicate with other users, provide reviews for content, products and/or services or interact with or vote on particular content. This information may be shared with others and may be publicly posted on our websites, including without limitation, other social media platforms and other public forums in which you choose to participate. This information may become publicly available and may be read, collected and used by others outside of our websites. We are not responsible for the conduct of others who may read, collect and use this information.
YOUR RIGHT OF ACCESS
CHANGING AND CORRECTING THE INFORMATION WE HAVE ABOUT YOU
The Newcastle Knights’ goal is to ensure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up-to-date. To assist us with this, please contact our Privacy Officer if any of the details you have provided change. Further, if you believe that the information we have about you is not accurate or is misleading, please contact us and we will use all reasonable efforts to correct the information. No fee applies to correction of personal information. Please allow 30 days for this request to be processed.
As with a request to access your information, we may need further information from you to verify your identity and evidence of your new details. If we refuse to correct or amend your personal information, we will give you written reasons for our decision.
STORAGE AND SECURITY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may store personal information electronically and/or in hard copy at our premises or at Wests’ premises. The information is also stored on secure and password protected servers that are protected in controlled facilities. This service may be performed on our behalf and data may be hosted by our selected data storage providers. Video and audio surveillance is stored on our digital recorders, which are maintained in a restricted access area and password protected.
We do not keep your bank account or credit card details. You have the option of making payments to us via direct debit or credit card. If you set up a direct debit or process a credit card payment online, you will be redirected to a page to provide your payment details to our third-party payment system provider directly.
The Newcastle Knights is committed to ensuring the security of your personal information and takes all reasonable precautions to protect this information from unauthorised access, loss, misuse or alteration. We take all reasonable steps to keep your personal information secure and to ensure this information is accurate, up to date, complete and relevant. We ensure that only those necessary have access to your personal information.
Your personal information is securely destroyed when it is no longer needed or when it is out of date.
Notifiable Data Breaches Scheme
As noted above, the Newcastle Knights has various security measures in place to protect your personal information from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
In the unlikely event that our security measures are compromised, and your information is the subject of a notifiable data breach, we will comply with our obligations for responding to data breaches outlined in the Privacy Act.
Upon becoming aware of a data breach, we will take urgent steps to contain the breach, mitigate any risk of harm and determine who may have been affected.
We will then assess the breach, including any potential for harm, and determine whether the breach is likely to result in serious harm to any person whose data was involved.
If we have reasonable grounds to believe that the breach is likely to result in serious harm to you, we will notify you of the breach as soon as possible. We will also notify the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
Following a breach, we will conduct a review of our security measures and implement any additional measures we consider necessary to enhance the security of your information.
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
Our websites may, from time to time, contain links to websites operated by third parties which may be of interest to you. Any such links are provided for reference only and we do not endorse the content of the third party website. Linked websites are responsible for their own privacy practices and you should check those websites for their respective privacy statements. We do not have control over websites operated by third parties and are not responsible, nor do we accept any liability, for the conduct of companies linked to our websites.
We may use third party advertisements on our websites. Third party advertisements are not recommendations or endorsements by us or any of our affiliates We are not responsible for the content (including representations) of any third party advertisement on our website. Cookies may be associated with these advertisements to enable the advertiser to track the number of anonymous users responding to the campaign. We do not have access to, or control of, cookies placed by third parties on their advertisements or websites.
SALE OF THE COMPANY
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The Newcastle Knights also has related entities, also known as “related bodies corporate”. These related entities are separate legal entities to the Newcastle Knights, but are related to us in some way. For example, Wests is a related entity of the Newcastle Knights as it owns the Newcastle Knights.
IS THERE SURVEILLANCE AT OUR VENUES OR PREMISES?
The Newcastle Knights operates out of the Newcastle Knights Centre of Excellence and its administrative staff operate out of Wests’ premises. Each of these premises are subject to video surveillance for security reasons.
The Club is not responsible for and does not have any control over the collection of any audio and visual surveillance at the McDonald Jones Stadium, which is owned and operated by Venues NSW.
ARE WE LIKELY TO DISCLOSE INFORMATION OVERSEAS?
We will generally not disclose your personal information overseas. However, if you agree to information being put on our websites or social media pages then this could be accessed by other countries.
As noted above, some of Wests' third-party suppliers may be located overseas. For example, we occasionally use secure cloud servers. This involves the use of servers that may be located in other countries and may constitute a disclosure under the Privacy Act. We will only disclose to our third-party suppliers what information is necessary to enable the Newcastle Knights to carry out its functions and activities and will require our third-party contractors to comply with the Privacy Act.
In limited circumstances, we may also disclose your personal information to an international rugby league associations, for example, if you are a player participating in an international rugby league competition.
PROBLEMS OR QUERIES
Address: The Privacy Officer
Knights Rugby League Pty Ltd PO Box 72 New Lambton NSW 2305
Telephone: 02 4935 1420
When contacting our Privacy Officer, please give us enough details to be able to identify you, understand your issue or complaint and respond appropriately. Please allow up to 30 days for us to respond. On receipt of your complaint, we will conduct a review and respond appropriately. If you do not happy with how we handle your query, problem or complaint, you may refer your query, problem or complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner via the contact details listed at www.oaic.gov.au/about-us/contact-us-page