You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
A late Raiders try heartbreakingly defeats the Knights at home

The nib Newcastle Knights NRL side has gone down 28-22 to the Canberra Raiders at McDonald Jones Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

After a positive first half, the Raiders scored 20 unanswered points including a late Jack Wighton try to sink Newcastle's hearts.

Sporting their hi-vis jerseys for Voice for Mining Family Day and in front of a 16,768 crowd at McDonald Jones Stadium, two players made their NRL and Club debuts with Krystian Mapapalangi and Oryn Keeley joining the Knights honour roll.

In late news, Tyson Frizell was a late withdrawal with a rib injury.

19-year-old Oryn Keeley moved onto the bench to become Newcastle Knight #334.

The Knights were off to a fast start with Edrick Lee striding over in the corner for his 12th try of the campaign six minutes into the game.

Knights score early

Canberra hit back with Sebastian Kris getting over to level the scores.

The Knights dominated field position and had a 100% completion rate in the opening stages of the game.

The positive start soon led to points with the side picking up their second on the 18th minute mark.

Quick hands down the left freed up Dom Young and the winger made his way to the line.

Young gets it down

Excellent play from Dane Gagai seven minutes later produced a second for Dom.

Double for Dom

The Raiders got one back when Jordan Rapana dived over in the corner before the Knights bolstered their lead with back-to-back tries on the stroke of half-time.

Edrick Lee scored his second of the afternoon on the 32nd minute to extend our lead.

With a minute remaining before half-time, an enterprising piece of play had Mat Croker racing into the back field.

The forward found Jayden Brailey back on the inside and the hooker made his way to the line for his first try of the season.

Brailey breaks the line

The Knights took a 22-8 lead into the change of ends.

Canberra struck first after the break with Sebastian Kris rising high to claim the ball and score the Raiders third.

The Raiders brought the scores to within two with 30 minutes remaining when Hudson Young got on the end of a kick.

Jamal Fogarty added a penalty goal and the scores were even with 27 minutes to play.

With nine minutes to play, the Raiders scored a lengthy four-pointer with Jack Wighton on hand to score the decisive try.

Late drama with Edrick Lee almost scoring in the corner but was agonisingly denied.

The result is the Knights 16th defeat of the season while the team will travel to play the Gold Coast Titans next start.