ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys is confident the remainder of the NRL season can go ahead as planned after the remaining five games in round 20 were rescheduled on Saturday night.
V'landys said this weekend's disruptions due to Queensland's snap three-day lockdown were a relatively minor inconvenience compared to last year when the competition had to be suspended for two months.
V’landys told News Corp on Saturday afternoon that he was confident the Telstra Premiership would remain in Queensland for the foreseeable future after the lockdown is scheduled to end on Tuesday.
“There is no threat to the competition,” V'landys said.
The three games that were postponed on Saturday have been transferred to a Super Sunday at Suncorp Stadium, kicking off at 1.50pm with the Knights playing Canberra followed by a 4.05pm Storm v Panthers blockbuster.
The third game on Sunday will see the Dragons and Rabbitohs square off at 6.25pm.
Sunday’s two fixtures will move to Monday night to ensure the entire round is completed ahead of round 21.
“I want to personally thank Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, State Government officials, and in particular, Dr Jeannette Young for allowing us to present the most stringent biosecurity protocols which when implemented will ensure there is minimal to no risk in allowing our matches to be played with no crowds,’’ V'landys said on Saturday night.
Try July funds pass the quarter-million mark in Round 19
For the duration of the South-Eeast Queensland lockdown, Level 4+ protocols will be implemented by the NRL which include the use of one venue, daily testing of players, compulsory masks for all staff and officials not playing as well as reduced personnel at games.
All five games will be played in an empty stadium and players and officials will remain under the protocols for the duration of the lockdown.
The lockdown, which began at 4pm on Saturday, was called after six new community-acquired cases of COVID-19 were confirmed by Queensland's chief health officer.