You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Fast-finish falls short against blistering Titans

It was a game of missed opportunities, silly errors and much frustration.

The nib Newcastle Knights were put to the sword 38-14 by the Gold Coast Titans on Easter Sunday.

It was a promising start with Kalyn Ponga threatening the line early, brushing past  Ryan James but the Knights were unable to capitalise on the opportunity.

James left the field with a knee injury just moments later and despite being without their skipper, the Titans posted first points courtesy of a Michael Gordon penalty goal in the 13th minute.

Just when it looked like the Knights were poised to bust the Titans up the middle, a poor pass from Danny Levi to Connor Watson saw the home side on the counter attack and Phillip Sami scored in the corner.

Michael Gordon converted the try to extend the lead 8-0.

A dropped ball from Daniel Saifiti turned over possession and Tyrone Roberts raced away to add his name to the score sheet.

Down by 14 after 24 minutes, back to back penalties saw Gordon add another two before Brian Kelly scored on the verge of halftime to secure a 22-0 lead at the break.

The second stanza started in exciting fashion with Mitchell Pearce stepping his way through the line but was unable to ground the ball and a chance went begging.

The Titans didn't miss their chance. A Shaun Kenny-Dowall ball across the face of the field was dropped by Edrick Lee and Dale Copley put Anthony Don over.

It took the Knights 55 minutes to score with Connor Watson setting up Hymel Hunt down the short side.

In the zone on the Gold Coast

Down 28-4, Watson crossed the line, completing a nice piece of play with Mitch Barnett but was denied by the bunker with the officials deeming he’d made a double movement.

The Knights looked like a different team in the second half.

A fourth tackle grubber from Pearce for Barnett saw the backrower win the race for the ball and the Knights secured their second.

Behind by 20, some Ponga brilliance saw the No.1 zip past Tyrone Roberts and score a try.

Barnett nailed the goal from in front to make it 28-14.

With three minutes left on the clock, a Roberts grubber and regather pushed the scoreline out by 20 points before Gordon hit the nail in the coffin.

A try to the fullback wrapped up the game 38-14.