Official! Injured Watson replaced by Mann

Connor Watson has been ruled out of Friday’s Round 3 clash with Canberra.

Watson picked up a low-grade MCL injury against Penrith last week and despite his best efforts to overcome the knee complaint, the fullback won’t be right in time for the Raiders match.

Watson was unable to take part in the nib Newcastle Knights’ final training run on Thursday with coach Nathan Brown conceding, the team will venture to the national’s capital without him.

HEAD TO HEAD: BATTLE OF THE CRAFTY HOOKERS

“It’s a minor MCL,” Brown said of Watson.

“They’re hopeful of him, reasonably confident for next week. It’s a short term one.”

Watson will be replaced at fullback by Kurt Mann.

Mann, 26, joined the Knights in the pre-season where he has trained in several positions.

ULTIMATE GUIDE: KNIGHTS V RAIDERS

Brown is confident that Mann is more than competent to fill the void in Watson’s absence.

“Kurt’s actually spent some time there in the pre-season,” Brown said.

“It’s not really new to Kurt.

“He fits in there easily.”