You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Reserve Grade Knights downed by Dragons

The nib Newcastle Reserve Grade side was defeated by the St George Illawarra Dragons 30-10 on Sunday afternoon at WIN Stadium.

While the Knights had a few moments of brilliance, the home team were too much for the Knights and secured their second win for the season.

The Dragons took control early in the match with fullback Jai Field taking a grubber from Jack Cogger, breaking the defensive line and running 90 metres to score under the posts.

The Knights retaliated in the 21st minute with Bobby Treacy crossing to the left of the sticks and an unsuccessful conversion by Stig to make the score 6-4.

The Dragons looked certain to score a try in the 26th minute with Jacob Gagai tackling Dragons winger Jordan Pereira into touch and saving the try in the left corner.

The Dragons scored just before halftime with a long pass to the right hand side by Jai Field to open a gap for centre Patrick Herbert to cross the line with Jai Field converting the try to bring the Dragons up 12-4 at halftime.

The Dragons kept the momentum going in the second half, with Dragons winger John Tohi crossing the line in the 47th minute with a spectacular dive in the right corner, however the conversion was unsuccessful by Field and the score remained at 16-4.

The Knights responded in the 52nd minute via Luke Yates on the left side with a successful conversion by Ryan Stig to make the Knights trail by 6 with 25 minutes remaining.

The Dragons’ Pereira, assisted by Field, crossed the line in the 59th minute in the left corner to bring the score to 20-10 over the Knights. The try conversion was unsuccessful by Field.

Dragons halfback Darren Nichols put two more on the board with 12 minutes remaining after the Knights gave away a penalty on their own line to make the score 22-10.

In an effort to stop a certain try by the Dragons, fullback Brent Naden was sinbinned for 10 minutes, bringing the Knights down to 12 on the field. The penalty conversion by Field was successful to bring the score to 24-10.

The Dragons looked lethal towards the tail end of the game with second rower Jacob Host breaking through the Knights' defence and passing to Nichols to score under the post.  Nicholls nailed the conversion to make the final score 30-10.

Match Summary

Knights: 10 (T: Treacy, Yates G: Stig 1/2)
Dragons: 30 (T: Field, Herbert, Tohi, Pereira, Nicholls, G: Field 2/3, Nicholls 1/2)