CLUB NEWS

Guerra looks forward to Knights years

2018 nib Newcastle Knights recruit Aidan Guerra has been in the game for a long time, but this week he's experiencing a little déjà vu as he starts at a new club for just the second time in his career.  

The last time he switched colours was in 2010 when he moved from the Melbourne Storm to the Sydney Roosters chasing an opportunity in first grade, and this time he heads to the Knights to be one of the Club's most experienced players.

He already knows a few faces on this occasion, linking up with former teammates Shaun Kenny-Dowall and Connor Watson, and is excited to embrace his new surroundings.

“I came in last week and tried to meet a few fresh faces and take away a bit of the nerves that you feel on that first day,” Guerra told media after his first field session on Monday.

“It has been a while since it’s been my first day at school but it has been good to meet the guys."

The 29-year-old Queensland representative and premiership winning player, who signed a three-year deal to come to Newcastle, admits his decision to be part of the red and blue was made easy.

“I came up here and met with Nathan (Brown) and Darren (Mooney) and I drove away from that meeting thinking this is a place I could play football in 2018,” Guerra explained.

“It is a Club that is going in the right direction and you can see that from the improvement made from season '16 to season 2017.”

The recruitment for 2018 was also a selling point.

“They have done some great recruiting and have got really promising players coming through the ranks,” he said.

“I'm interested to see how it goes over the next couple of months leading into some football.”

The experienced lock says he wants to help get the Club return to its former glory.

“The memories that I have of the Knights and that other people have got of the Newcastle Knights is a successful Club,” maintained Guerra.