You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

The NYC Newcastle Knights completely dominated the New Zealand Warriors, defeating the visitors 70-4 at McDonald Jones Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

It was a scoring assault from the red and blue in the first half, recording 42 unanswered points and it continued in the second stanza, keeping the visitors to just one try for the match.

Early on the Knights threatened the line on a number of occasions before finally Pasami Saulo, back from Reserve Grade, crashed through a pack of Warriors to get the first try for the day. Jack Johns converted in front for Newcastle to lead 6-0.

In the 10th minute another Knights forward to the line, this time Cameron King bursting across the line. Johns added the extras for the red and blue to stretch their lead, 12-0.

16 minutes in, Hayden Loughrey broke free on the halfway mark before dishing off to Matt Cooper to finish off with staggering pace. The Knights lead 18-0.

The Knights forwards continued to dominant as Brodie Jones ran through a gap to cross over before centre Heath Gibbs came up with the ball minutes later to scramble to the line. Johns continued to nail conversions for Newcastle to lead 30-0.

Red and blue momentum continued in the 28th minute, as Cory Denniss collected the crumbs off a dropped ball by the Warriors to dive over and minutes before the halftime siren, Loughrey found an easy gap through the middle to stride over.

Cooper this time with the conversion as the Knights took a demanding 42-0 lead into the break.

In the second half, the drought was broken for the Warriors as Gibson Popoalii picked up the leftovers to cross over in the first few minutes. The Knights lead 42-4.

52 minutes in, Newcastle found Mitch Andrews on the left edge for another try and minutes later it was again Cooper to sprint 40 metres to the line for his second. The lead extended to 54-4.

The Knights again muscled their way to the line in the 71st minute with Nash Birch stretching over and again Cooper guided the ball to Zac Hosking minutes later for the forward to make it their eleventh try for the afternoon. Cooper booted the conversion to see the Knights 64-4.

In the final minutes Loughrey darted to the line to push the Knights to 70-4 to record their biggest win for the season.


Newcastle Knights 70 (T:  Saulo, King, Cooper 2, Jones, Gibbs, Denniss, Loughrey 2, Birch, Andrews, Hosking G: Johns 6/6, Cooper 5/6)
New Zealand Warriors 4 (T: Popoalii, G: Harris-Tavita 0/1)


Newcastle Knights

1. Matt Cooper, 2. Mitch Andrews, 3. Cory Denniss, 4. Heath Gibbs, 5. Ofa Manuofetoa, 6. Jack Johns, 7. Hayden Loughrey, 8. Cameron King, 9. Nash Birch, 10. Pasami Saulo, 11. Brodie Jones, 12. Sam McIntyre, 13. Zac Hosking. Interchange: 14. Luke Huth, 15. Henry Penn, 16. Viko Puliuvea, 17. Matt Croker.

New Zealand Warriors

1.Lee Turner, 4. Dean Kouka-Smith, 3. Melino Fineanganofo, 6. Kane Telea, 5. Gibson Popoalii, 2. Paul Turner, 7. Chanel Harris-Tavita, 8. Troy Pulupaki, 14. Dylan Tavita, 10. Tayhler Paora, 11. Tyler Slade, 12. Joe Vuna, 13. Chris Sio. Interchange. 9. Lewis Sio, 15. Kelepi Lui, 17. Jerome Mamea, 18. Havi Tupouniua.