The Newcastle Knights will play in a uniquely designed ANZAC commemorative jersey for the second year in a row this ANZAC Day.
The match worn jerseys will then be auctioned, with proceeds donated to the City of Newcastle RSL. This ANZAC Day celebrates 100 years of the RSL.
The ANZAC match worn jerseys will be online for auction following the Round 8 match and will be accompanied with a certificate of authenticity. Bidding ends Friday April 29th from 5pm.
The story behind the commemorative jersey created in conjunction with apparel partner ISC:
- Through the fog of war underneath the steps of Gallipoli peninsula, soldiers from Australia and New Zealand forged a powerful legacy. The creation of what became known as the 'ANZAC legend' became an important part of the identity of both nations, shaping the way we view both our past and our future.
- Through the adumbration of the Gallipoli peninsula the Southern Cross illuminates through the foreshadow, radiating rays of red delineates the sacrifices and tribulation the soldiers endured to build our proud nations.
- A New Zealand soldier is featured to pay homage to our brothers in arms and to remind us of the equal sacrifices they’ve made in the Gallipoli campaign.
- Below a photo of ANZAC troops charging an Ottoman trench (Australian National Archives and Records Administration, 1915) is featured. This image symbolises the men’s bravery, courage and fortitude.
- On the back we feature a photo of the Australian Calvary unit (Australian War Memorial) upholding the flag high and proud.
To pre-order the 2016 ANZAC Jersey CLICK HERE .
ANZAC jersey's ordered online can be picked up from the merchandise outlet on the western grand stand between gates opening and full time at Hunter Stadium on Monday's match day. Alternatively they will be posted from Tuesday April 26.
Don’t forget, members receive a 10 per cent discount and buying direct from the Club ensures all proceeds go towards the future success of the Newcastle Knights.