Following the 100 Year ANZAC Day Game at Hunter Stadium on April 25, the Newcastle Knights are auctioning off the team's match worn playing jerseys.
The Newcastle Knights played in a uniquely designed Anzac commemorative jersey on ANZAC Day as part of the NRL’s tribute to the 100th anniversary of the ANZAC landing at Gallipoli.
All ANZAC commemorative match worn playing jerseys are up for auction with each jersey signed by the individual player.
These jerseys are a unique one-off piece of Knights history.
All proceeds from the auction will be donated equally to Newcastle Legacy and City of Newcastle RSL.
Bidding ends Friday, May 8th from 5pm.
Here is the story behind the commemorative jersey created in conjunction with apparel partner ISC.
· Through the fog of war underneath the steps of Gallipoli peninsula, soldiers from Australia and New Zealand forged a powerful legacy. The creation of what became known as the 'ANZAC legend' became an important part of the identity of both nations, shaping the way we view both our past and our future.
· Through the adumbration of the Gallipoli peninsula the Southern Cross illuminates through the foreshadow, radiating rays of red delineates the sacrifices and tribulation the soldiers endured to build our proud nations.
· A New Zealand soldier is featured to pay homage to our brothers in arms and to remind us of the equal sacrifices they’ve made in the Gallipoli campaign.
· Below a photo of ANZAC troops charging an Ottoman trench (Australian National Archives and Records Administration, 1915) is featured. This image symbolises the men’s bravery, courage and fortitude.
· On the back we feature a photo of the Australian Calvary unit (Australian War Memorial) upholding the flag high and proud.
100 Year Commemorative Anzac Jersey auction purchases may be eligible for a partial tax deduction.
- To be eligible for tax deductibility the purchase price of the item at auction must be over $300.
- The portion of the purchase which is tax deductible is 50 per cent of the purchase price at auction less the market value of the item.
- The market value of this item is $300.